The Assessor is responsible for determining market value of all real estate and personal property for the equitable distribution of taxes. The task of listing all taxable property within the municipality is completed annually and must comply with State Statutes, primarily Title 36 of the Maine Revised Statutes Annotated (MRSA). All taxable property is valued in accordance with the “just value” provision in the statutes.
The Assessing department is committed to:
- Assessing Standards in Title 36 MRSA, Property Taxes, section 326-331 as administered by the Maine Revenue Service.
- Equitable assessments developed in accordance with the International Association of Assessing Officers’ (IAAO) Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (USPAP).
- Maintaining positive public relations with courtesy, integrity and transparency.
- Excellence in assessment administration beyond the property tax laws.
- Being responsive to requests made by the Board of Selectmen/Assessors.